Troop 89 Committee Meeting Minutes
Sunday August 19, 2018 @ 4:00 PM
In attendance: Jenny M, Kevin M, Scott T, Joel B, Ray N, Hannah W, John B, Steve P, Julie O
- Summer Camps
- High adventure in addition to spring break Sea Base? Begin brainstorming
It was proposed to attempt Philmont again next summer, in addition to summer camp and spring break Sea Base
- High adventure in addition to spring break Sea Base? Begin brainstorming
- State of the Committee
- Recruiting - Adult Leadership Postions
Committee Chair: Jenny McKenna
Activity/Outdoor coordinator: OPEN
High Adventure Transportation Coordinator: OPEN
CoH Coordinator: Jon Gregoire
Equipment/Quartermaster: Mark Posey
Training Coordinator: Rob Whitney
Public Relations/Publicity: OPEN
Community Service Coordinator: OPEN*
Advancement: Brooksie Estrada, NEED ASST
Life to Eagle: John LaPlante
Health & Safety Coordinator: Patrick O’Toole
Webmaster/Social Media: Mildred van den Boom
Scout Fair Coordinator: Kevin McKenna
Troop Shirts: Jill Brumberger, NEED ASST
Clothing Swap Coordinator: Sonny Smoak
STEM Advisor: Scott Trotter
Sustainability Advisor: OPEN
Treasurer: Edna Asare, NEED ASST
New Member Coordinator: Hannah Wilems, NEED ASST
- New Business
- STEM Program: Scott Trotter presented his Nova and in house MB program. Amazing! Will present to the boys in a couple weeks, with the hope of a SuperNova award within 2-3 years and 2-3 Nova awards this year. Main need from the committee is an up to date MB counselor list. Jenny will work on that.
- Find/Re-Create Troop Library: many books were found in the church drawer. We will put out a call for used books and open a librarian position to maintain it. Keith, do you want librarian as a boy leadership position?
- Family Scouting: mainly waiting for Pastor Gary to return from sabbatical in a couple weeks to get the charter’s take on it. Julie may have a lead on a girl wanting to join with an Eagle Scout father who may be persuaded to serve as the female Troop Scoutmaster.
- Patrick needs the binders of med forms back from Colorado. Keith, do you have them? As discussed last spring, we are looking at having February 1st as an annual turn in date for Parts A and B, after the first of the year when insurance changes. There may be a few who have to turn it in twice in one year, but this will only be once as the 2/1 due date will remain the same every year.
BSA Troop 89, The Woodlands, Texas
Troop Committee Meeting
18 March 2018
The regular meeting of BSA Troop 89, was called to order by Committee Chairman Jon Gregoire at 4:00 p.m. at Lord of Life Lutheran Church. Attendance: Lori Hughes, Thomas Senn, Joel Bates, Ray Nyeholt, John Bauer, Brent Jones, Kevin McKenna, Jenny McKenna, Keith Landau, Edna Asare, Brant Jones, and Jon Gregoire.
Committee Chairman Report. Jon. Announced he will be stepping down as Committee Chair. Jenny McKenna said she is interested in serving as chair. She has previous experience as Committee Chair for Pack 883. Committee voted to approve Jenny McKenna as new Committee Chair. Jon Bauer has volunteered to serve as Charter Organizational Representative as Linda Davies will not be able to continue in that role.
Scoutmaster Report. Keith. Troop calendar for 2018-2019 has been drafted and emailed to leaders. Asked folks to review it and send any revisions/suggestions to him. Boys will discuss plans for future campouts and activities at the next Patrol Leader Council. There are 11 scouts in the new Spartan patrol with two advisors. Keith is working with the Mustang leaders to help the patrol “norm.” The troop is planning on seven additional Eagle Scouts to be celebrated at May’s Court of Honor.
Treasurer’s Report. Edna. The Treasurer’s Report was distributed. Expressed a need to draft a policy for expense report submission procedures. Edna asks that all families let her know whether they receive the expense report she generates and emails. She asked that families be respectful in their communication with the Treasurer. Committee voted to draft a policy stating that all expense reports must be submitted within 60 days of activity/event. Any reports not submitted within this timeframe will not be accepted. Committee discussed ways to facilitate easier and faster submission of expense reports. One suggestion made was to have a secure drop box that is solely reserved for this purpose. Committee also discussed ways to assist the Treasurer to follow up with scouts who have a negative balance in their accounts. A suggestion was given to investigate the purchase of Quick Books or some other software that would allow families to access their account information and/or possibly make payments electronically. Discussion of the need to communicate to troop a plan to communicate importance of maintaining a positive scout account balance. Suggestion was made to lock down advancement two weeks before, notifying parent(s) that scout will not be able to advance without a positive scout account balance. Lori Hughes has offered to draft a plan for maintaining positive account balances, and will share with committee for input.
Upcoming Trips/Activities. Keith. Discussed the upcoming trips/activities.
- Cunningham Ranch (March 23-25) Jon Gregoire will take care of contacting Tanks a Lot (281-351-5921) to order a portable toilet delivery and removal to Cunningham Ranch (1935 Cattle Dr., Magnolia).
- Scout Fair (April 14). Kevin McKenna reported that plans are in place for the Scout Fair activities. Need to make sure the troop has good representation from scouts. Need Activity/Outdoor Coordinator to register for Scout Fair by March 31 deadline: https://samhoustonbsa.doubleknot.com/registration/form.aspx?qD_Caa8Xb0JwUdIJis2eCjSnCngxSHi4D1M9h8u3Zuc4munuoma66B5ODg2_LljSEXas99uky2uc-lNyZM6z7EeleyldDzDsf4n5j-XyJwLCkQPlL6hT4BtILtZAXi_nxL-I7i2nCbq3PL5BC7wvEYDnOmAce9csn_m8YcYdooOvWgWG5UWVgkcxz3zZ7VDB0
- Camporee, Camp Brosig (April 27-29). Need Activity/Outdoor Coordinator to register for Camporee (plan for at least 30 scouts and 10 adults). Registration may be completed online at
- Galveston State Park & Schlitterbahn (May 18-20). We have reservations made for the State Park, but Activity/Outdoor Coordinator needs to order tickets to Schlitterbahn.
- Enchanted Rock (February 16-18, 2019). Based on feedback from participants this year, suggestion given to move Enchanted Rock campout to coincide with President’s Day weekend, with muster occurring Saturday morning and return on a Monday. Reservations for five sites need to be made by the Activity/Outdoor Coordinator as soon as troops are able to reserve spots for 2019.
Fundraising/Community Events. Lori. All Kroger sales dates have now passed. Lori will be on hand at troop meetings to collect money or distribute additional coupon books. March 26 is due date for additional 3% commission. Last date for coupon book sales and money turn-in is April 2. There is an opportunity for volunteer/service to the Donate Life Texas race to be held at Sam Houston Race Track on April 7. Lori will announce at troop meeting to see if there is interest in participating.
Open Committee Positions. Jon. There are a number of open committee positions. Below is a list of the available positions and the person who has either expressed interest in and/or volunteered for the position. Position(s) highlighted need to be filled as soon as possible.
- Activity/Outdoor Coordinator – Sean Gaffney
- High Adventure Transportation Coordinator – OPEN
- Court of Honor Coordinator – OPEN
- Equipment / Quartermaster – Neal Sahni
- Secretary – OPEN
- Training Coordinator – Mark Posey
- New Scout/Parent Coordinator – OPEN
- Public Relations & Publicity – OPEN
- Fundraising/Community Service Coordinator – Lori Hughes
- Life to Eagle – John LaPlante
- Health & Safety Coordinator – Daniel Skeen
- Historian – OPEN
- Scout Fair Coordinator – Kevin McKenna
- Troop Shirts – Jill Brumberger
- Clothing Swap Coordinator – Sonny Smoak
- STEM Advisor – Joel Bates
- Sustainability Advisor - OPEN
- Social Media Coordinator
Troop Quartermaster Report. Keith. All patrols have now been assigned their own tents, stoves, and ground cloths. Keith will order six new propane trees. The trailer is due for inspection and re-registration. John Bauer has volunteered to take the trailer in for registration and inspection. He can reach out to John Mote, who has done this in the past. Discussed the need to update names for the Eagle’s Nest on the trailer. John Bauer volunteered to coordinate this.
Scoutmaster Minute. Keith. Suggested an advancement charts with “shingles” that can be moved by the scouts at each rank advancement. Keith will order a second troop flag that will remain at Lord of Life Lutheran. Suggested the need to purchase plastic shelves from Home Depot to keep in troop closet at Lord of Life that will contain used troop uniforms that can be recycled. Church has approved this already. John Bauer has volunteered to purchase these shelves.
- Thomas Senn provided research he has done for his Wood Badge course on the merit badges that have been completed by Troop 89 scouts in 2016 & 2017. He offered suggestions for increasing communication of merit badge opportunities. He will email the PowerPoint slides that he discussed with committee.
- Neckerchief slides. O’Brien Hughes has volunteered to produce these personalized slides using a 3-D printer. He has shown a prototype to Chris and Keith.
Respectfully submitted by Lori Hughes.